Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Beautiful City: Nauvoo

We have been back from Nauvoo for a week and a half now. However, I still need to comment on that wonderful place. This year we have been able to see both Palmyra and Nauvoo, in two separate trips. But it has been so worth it. It's good to feel a little more mature with my travel time because there was a time that I only thought that the church history sites were only for old people; guess I'm one of those old people, I suppose, cause I loved it. When you enter the town, immediately you can feel a special spirit of the place, I mean it's thick. There are boards from other religions advertising anti-mormon "truths", but it didn't matter, the spirit is still alive and well in Nauvoo. We were able to visit many of the old restored buildings and 19th century demonstrations. The kids loved the toys of that century and it was overheard that they'd trade the Wii for all of those toys (then we got home, different story). The highlight of my time there was both the Nauvoo pageant (where we were able to watch our very wonderful friends perform in it), and a vignette of the man who played Joseph Smith act out the King Follet discourse. Really getting to know the history and see where it was played out at Carthage when the prophet was martyred felt like I had lost another brother. Then to be able to stand on Parley street where all of the saints lined up to venture across the Mississippi in the cold and freezing weather that February day, and to imagine how they gazed behind their sholders to view the gorgeous city and spectacular temple that they only finished as an offering to the Lord, gave a fresh and special meaning to this past 24th celebration. It was a great trip

Oh, and a special word for the little dudes, great job. Our trip out found us on three airplanes starting at 5 am and ending at 7pm. Our trip home, however found us on another three airplanes, starting at midnight, and home at 6:05pm. Such is the life of a freeload---er ah--- non-rever.

Hope you enjoy the pictures, (again, click on the caption box) after this link. Story: Matt made me promise that I wouldn't add this to my blog. So in order to get around that, I made this litte film into it's own blog, then I emailed the link to a few of his work buddies, but that's another story.
http://highlandshuffle.blogspot.com/



3 comments:

Ben and MaryJo Scott Family said...

You sneaky little thing! I love it. Way to go, I could never get Ben to do anything like that.

Erika said...

Your trip looked like a total blast. I want to do a church history trip so bad. Maybe next year.
Tell your hubby nice job with the highland jig or whatever it is. Definately a skill he should share often. Don't hide it under a bushel, no.

The Webb Family said...

Thank you for the words of wisdom and I am picturing the employees and lots of customers! Your trip looks like fun! Wow. Your kids look like you and Matt. They are soo cute.
Kristol