Monday, February 8, 2010

So not tradition, but SO much fun!!!

So last September, as I was folding my laundry I had an idea pop in my head. What made me go to my computer and write this email to a
Zumba instructor friend, I will never know:
"So flash mobs are all the rage online nowadays, right? What about a Zumba dance flash mob right here in Southern Utah? I think that would be so fun to do. A couple of opportunities for big crowds coming up is the What Women Want Expo in October, if they still do Downtown on Thursday nights, and the one that got me all excited about this idea was to do it on First Night. KCSG could film it for us. Seriously. Fun and brilliant, right? ~Malea"

What IS a Flashmob you ask? Well, our online oracle, Wikipedia, states: A flash mob (or flashmob)[1] is a large group of people who assemble suddenly in a public place, perform an unusual and pointless act for a brief time, then quickly disperse.

So we did it on First Night!!! The city sponsored some money for our headbands and planned the family fireworks around it. KCSG said that they were wanting to film it, but it turns out most of their filming is all private contracted. So the person they sent knew very little about what was going on. He did the best he could, but it just didn't turn out. That is the only thing that I wish would have worked out better. Oh, and I wish someone wouldn't have tripped over the cord that cut off the music after I started dancing in front of a couple of hundred people. The entourage (aka, my family who loves me no matter what) told me I worked it out.....You can be the judge of that yourself by watching it HERE on Megan's blog.
But the people, oh the wonderful people, who did this with me were a BLAST to connect with. I made so many neat friends and reconnected in person with so many more. At our very first practice when I got out of the car I was just praying that at least two more people besides me would show. We had 70 people the very first time. Crazy is as Crazy does, and we had some silly crazy fun!

I have a little idea a brewing about the next one. Why oh why would I DO a next one? Turns out that it wasn't just a one time, "guess I'll put this on my bucket list" idea. A couple of people have asked me about it to promote this or that (it's super top secret FBI stuff, you know;)

So here's one of the video's that shows me starting it out after the music was fixed (and feeling super joyful that it was):

1 comment:

Hopie said...

And I should be your partner in crime again!!!! That was one of the most fun nights in my whole life!!!!