Sunday, May 30, 2010

Just some typical backyard events at our house

I love when the weather warms up at night. Most of our lives are spent in our backyard. It smells good, feels good, and most importantly gives the house a break from the never ending messes. Matt is busy with his mad garden skillz. And the boys explore, dig, play, swing, chase, and shake the cabin fever stink off their
bodies and minds.





I love backyard cooking. I have no idea how we survived B.B. (Before Barbecue)
Most media portray an outdoor meal with the man of the house at the fiery helm armed with his heavy steel cooking tools and dressed in an apron with "kiss the cook" on it. Not so at our house. I remember the first time I cleaned out our new grill after we moved to this house. I was elbow deep in covered in coal and ash scraping and pounding it clean. Matt and the boys were behind me playing on the trampoline. I couldn't help but smile as I realized how content I felt
that everything was as it should be.
I love to cook. So trying out new recipes, or embarking on a several hour rib smoke fest is not uncommon for me. But mostly you'll see us keeping it simple with my kids favorite burgers and hot dogs.
From 2010-05-02 Derby2010,Track Meet,Zion,Cookout
From 2010-05-02 Derby2010,Track Meet,Zion,Cookout

Having good food equals a good time for me. But adding a little activity makes it even more special. We enjoy throwing up some blankets on the trampoline and taking our t.v. outside for an outdoor theatre.
From 2010-05-02 Derby2010,Track Meet,Zion,Cookout

Or putting up the tiki torches and and just talking or telling stories.


aaaaand consequently covering our faces with paint and dancing around the fire with
Polynesian style tribal dances.

Just your typical summer evening at the Scott house.

11 comments:

Amy said...

You are SO fun. I want to come to your house for an outdoor movie and some war paint dancing. I love the look of your BBQ spread. When I wrote my earlier post, I was totally thinking of you and wondering, how does she do it with FOUR BOYS! You are amazing and I'm so grateful for your blog posts because they remind me to keep a sense of humor and to have fun!

Oh, and way to go with marrying a yard man. Just this year I was thinking -- Why didn't I marry a guy who loves yard work/gardening? Well, the answer is, I didn't realize how awesome that would be until now :-)

Shannon said...

You guys are soooo much fun! You're seriously the coolest parents, and what a great looking backyard you have! Can I come over for your next movie night on the trampoline? My sister and I tried doing that one time with our friends, and the TV fell over and broke. Needless to say, that ended that.lol!

Christy Jones said...

Awww, the joy of summer nights! Alas we have to wait for it to stop raining!! You have some really fun ideas, I love what your hubby has done with your yard. You need to share your grilling recipies that your kids love, I alway love a new recipie!

Christina said...

Someday...
Summer nights seems so far away up here in the cold. Your backyard looks like such a happy place. Love it.!

Hopie said...

I want to be like you when I grow up!!!!!! So fun!!!!

Tracy S. said...

All that BBQ makes me anxious to get down to St. George for the next family get-together!

Tracy S. said...

Oh and Jake and I have a blog. jakeandtracy.blogspot.com

Barbaloot said...

Your comment on my post at Real World killed me! Did my help meet die in the war in heaven?! I think I'm gonna use that for my answer when people ask why I'm not married now. Thanks for that!

susan said...

Love that family picture.

I must say, we spend a lot of summer hours in the backyard, I'm the gardener Adorable Hubby is the chef,(pork chops BBQued with the raspberry chiplote sauce from Costco is the current rage)but, we have never ventured into the fascinating world of face paint and dancing. Thanks for the idea and for stopping by my blog.

I have to know where you got your tiki torches.

Boy Mom said...

That last comment was Boy Mom by the way.

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

Looks like so much fun. I need to learn how to bbq... I love to eat it so much, so it makes since that I should learn to cook it!