This week has been fun filled and festive. I just should have taken more pictures. Oh Well...Anywho...
Last Saturday I canned a booty load of peaches. It was gleaning day at the church orchard, so we did what any humble and serviceable Mormon would do, we scooted on down there to claim our share before the polygamists arrived. I haven't done a lot of canning since I was married due to recovering from the pointless work that "like my mom totally like forced me to do" when I was a teenager. So this was my first time doing it all by my lonesome. Turns out it wasn't that bad, and I felt pretty great when it was all done. I made a ton of jam, canned some peaches in their own juices without any sugar, and froze the rest.
I taught English to a group of young Japanese boys here in St. George for the week with a company called St. George International. I've hosted several Japanese Exchange students since I have been married. Unfortunately, since we have six people, two dogs, and currently four shih-tzu puppies in 1350 sq. feet. of home, there just isn't any room. So I was able to snag the teaching gig. This is my second year doing it, and I always have a blast. The kids are always respectful. Since they are here for such a short time, I am able to teach them just the basics to survive while they're here, which, of course, includes the Joey Tribbiani style of greeting the opposite sex..."How you doin'".
Tuesday was my birthday, turned 32. Matthew's guitar teacher guessed I was turning 27. On one hand, I could really still look like I was in my 20's, on the other it could be that we're paying him $1.50 for every minute of his time and he's afraid of losing the business. Either way I decided that we probably weren't paying him enough.
Matt bought me my very very first beautiful Kitchenaid Stand Mixer for my birthday!!! The beginning of the summer I started making our own bread, and it just took soo much time, broke two hand mixers and nearly killed my food processor. So, the first time I made bread with the Kitchenslave(aid), my bread was soundly rising in their respective pans 15 minutes after I started. And it only took that long because I had to make a leverage adjustment. The second time it took only 10 minutes. I literally put my cheek down on the mixers' smooth round surface and gave it a little hug; which prompted Matt to inform me that I probably should get some professional help, to which I replied, " I already had professional help, my new mixer".
So, it's been a rather home-makey week for this reluctant daughter of Zion. I assure all (3 :) of you 'tho, it'll be an icy cold day in hell before I break out the sewing machine.
ps. my birthday was super; I really have the most wonderful friends and family in the whole world. It always surprises me and makes me wonder If I deserve such a great life, but I really have a great life, so I'm extremely great-ful:)....
The next few pics are of my very first Japanese exchange student, Midori. I failed to take pictures of my Japanese class, so I thought I'd show off Midori. She was a barrel of Laughs. And probably my favorite of all the Japanese students we had. The others are two too many pictures of my weird infatuation with my new appliance, oh, and note the homemade jam with the homemade bread. Who knows how long this "homemade" phase will last....
3 comments:
You are soooo funny. I am one of the 3 who read your blog regularly. Now I know where to go when I run out of peaches. HA HA, like that's going to happen any time soon. Congrat on the kitchenaid I love mine.
I tried canning for the first time a month before Beckham was due. Crazy! I guess I was in uber nesting mode.
BTW I heart your new Kitchenslave. I've wanted one forever. I feel the same about my dustbuster as you do your mixer...sometimes I just want to kiss it.
Finally, to create a blog list that shows updated posts, you need to sign into your blog, go to customize, then go to add a gadget, then click on Blog List. Here you enter in all of the blogs you follow by entering the name of their site, for example, brendlebunch.blogspot.com. Pretty easy, but takes a little time. Good luck, let me know if you have anymore questions.
ok you are just funny. I love reading your blog. I will laugh the day I read about you sewing something. One day you will I know it in my bones!
Kristol
Post a Comment