Thursday, September 18, 2008

Scott Themepark Features the Emotional Rollercoaster

Here's a recent conversation between me and my eight year old boy, Matthew. But a little history first: When he was in first grade, for a guest reading day that all the parents participate in throughout the year, I read Matthew's favorite story "Barnyard Boogie". I also happened to dress up as a Appalachian style farmer and chatted with the first graders, in character, as they asked me questions about how I got to school (by donkey) and why I was missing my teeth ("missun' teeth? why I brush 'em hard evry na-ght wuth a good 'ol snail shell"). While Matthew's classmates were totally into it, Matthew wasn't. He folded his arms and glared at me the entire time. Fast forward to last night, when I read Barnyard Boogie to Mason and Michael.

Matthew: "Mom, why did you have to dress up like that when I was six?"
Me: "Because, I wanted to have a little fun with you and your class, do you want me to be like a normal mom?"
Matthew: "Well, no, not normal. Just that everyone else's parents just came, and read."
Me: "Well, I wanted to bring the story to life. I'm like Disneyland, I bring imagination to life."
Matthew: " 'cept without any rides."
Me: "Yuh-huh, from what I remember, that day you were on quite the emotional roller coaster."
Matthew: ....can't talk because he's laughing so hard.

So, that's the punchline. My eight year old little boy can now comfortably roll with my deadpan, sarcastic humor. Talk about a proud mama; my work here is done.
From Matthew First grade

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Malea,
You are so hilarious and you make me laugh everytime i read your blog. I would never do anything like that and i wish i could but i am not funny or couldn't pull it off. Anyway i love reading your blog and it is so fun to see you and your boys and big boy. What did the other boys think when you read it to them? Hey MaryJo has not gotten back to me, how is there little girl, she had surgery? can someone inform us folks up here in SL. Thanks and i am glad that you went out for your birthday too!!!

Cheeky Kitchen said...

TOO ADORABLE! Thanks so much for sharing your link.

I was particularly glad to see that other children are as tormented as my own. I brought my middle schooler to tears the other day when I told him I was going to go to school registration speaking in a german accent. He was HORRIFIED until I promised I would do no such thing.

Oh, we mean moms. :)

Thanks for your comment! Hope your day is wonderful!