Saturday, November 1, 2008

I am my Mother (s) Daughter...

The facts are these...I was born to a super mom who took it upon herself to make any event spectacular and memorable. Then things turned south when her many mental instabilities took over in which case I was removed and adopted at the tender age of 10 to another mom who, although creative in her own right, was content to let "'is' be what it is" therefore teaching me to take care of my family first, and not worry what other people think. One tradition mom two did was do a black light display each Halloween. I loved it. And everyone in my family always looked forward to it as well. That being said, the end result is me, a responsible adult/super mom wannabe who was able to harness some solid schizophrenic, manic skills and turn her room mom responsibilities into a holiday black light extravaganza.

Though my instincts tell me to take credit for all of it, it wouldn't be fair to all of the other parents who helped me paint, set up, and clean up after it was over. The kids in Matthews class also made a ton of butterflies and dragonflies. Matthew and his best friend helped me cut out stars, frogs, and other creatures to paste everywhere. My super-dude, Matt (who hero named himself Mediocre Man), was also very kind when he realized I was going to get my way and do this thing come hellorhighwater. He and I then spent a couple of late nights painting, talking and laughing. Always a good thing.

So it ended up turning out great. The kids in Matthew's class were happy and hyper. I loved all of the comments saying they thought it was the "best Halloween ever". The entire school also walked through it saying cute things like "dude, awesome, so cool, and No fair, Mr. Bruce! We didn't get to do this last year!"

Halloween night was really great. We participated in our tri-ward trunk or treat, went to the Washington Rec Center for more festivities, then over to Matt's sister's house and ate some yummy broccoli soup and walked up and down her street looking at all of the decorations late into the night. I, in particular, enjoyed this last part
especially since my very best wing mom, Kelli, took McKay home with her so he could sleep. Thanks, gurlfriend.

No comments: