Friday, December 26, 2008

'Twas the Night Before Christmas Reality; for anyone who have kids and lives....

Ever since we have been parents, Matt has always worked Christmas eve. Which has always put me in charge of the Santa duties. This year was fun, 'tho, as I employed lil Matthew ever since he "found out". Christmas Eve was, of course fun, crazy, busy due to last minute shopping, and holiday parties. When the real work began, I had to keep myself entertained. So, for your reading pleasure, here is a little poem, I had milling in my head that night:

'Twas the night before Christmas, and the house was a mess. "How the *bleep* am I going to do this?", was my thought, I confess.

The children were nestled, forcibly in their beds, while the codeine induced coma took effect in their heads;

And me with my work gloves and headband on my cap; Sadly buckled down so I could clean up all of the crap.

I tore through the kitchen and scraped up the mash, then threw away the curdled bottles before I barfed in a flash.

When, what to my wondering eyes started to gleam? The house! It began to look, smell, and feel clean!

I knew in this moment, my goal had to stick, my kids are sweet kids, they were counting on "St. Nick".

More rapid did I use my head, feet, and hands; The morning was approaching, "sweet kids" still have demands.

Finally, the stocking were stuffed, the last presents were wrapped. Girl friend needed some sleep before she snapped.

So, at 3:30 a.m., I snuggled into bed. "Kids are getting up soon", I supposed with some dread.

But, then I started thinking about a time before Ipod, Ripstick, and Wii; to the parents who worked and slaved for me.

My mama probably didn't like to keep up the Christmas pace, but I will forever be grateful, she never stopped to put a smile on my face.

Here are the pics of proof, (Warning, some images contain inappropriate content for those who don't have kids or have a running account with Merry Maids)
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08
From 2008-12-26 christmas08

6 comments:

The Webb Family said...

OMgosh. I can so relate:D Brook and I will turn down the heat to help keep the kids in their beds longer. I love the before and after. You are awesome.

Hopie said...

No, you didn't tell me about the song. Don't you just love it? Me too!!! Love the Christmas photos. I will read the post later when I can see straight!!!

Christy Jones said...

Hey there stranger. Hope you don't mind me reading more about your life. I saw Amy last time I was in Utah! I am so glad you are Not as perfect as I thought! I really like you with brown hair. My memories are of you blonde!! You look cute either way.
"Christina"

Courtney said...

You actually composed a poem- it hits so close to home. As I crawled in bed (1:30) I thought, a clean kitchen is my Christmas present to myself (of course it was only clean until about 9:30 am, but it was a nice few hours)

Amy said...

Oh, you are too, too hilarious! Nice before, after and morning of photos. You have such a lovely family.

Megan said...

Hey,
I got your blog from Hopies. You are so funny. It is nice to know that I am not the only crazy insane mom. You are such a great person. Thanks for being you!!!