Sunday, February 22, 2009

I have not failed indeed....

From 2009-02-22 necklace


Yesterday, my good friend Megan gave me this cute little handmade goody that is draped around my neck because I responded to her pay it forward post. So being the multi-tasker that I am, I hoped that it wouldn't be cheating if I responded to my cousin, Kristols', post of the same nature.

Now it's my turn to pay it forward to you. I'm going to say the first three to respond to my post will, in fact, receive a homemade gift from me within the next 365 days. My crafting expertise is in duct tape, so etsy shop owners need not fear. I promise not to offer you any competition. The catch is, there is none. Just respond, and I'll get in touch with you. I'm breaking the rules in that I am not requiring those who respond to do the same. If you want to, fantastic, if not, rot in...no just kidding, I'm sure you will find your own way to do some good in the world today.

One thing about going private is that I can now reflect on another Valentines activity the boys and I did together for FHE. We were reading about the woman who had sinned, but came to the Savior to honor Him by washing His feet while he lunched with the Pharisees. After chatting about who should and shouldn't be the recipient of mercy and love...the kids decided that we should do a Valentines poster for the prisoners at Purgatory Correctional Facility. It was a simple poster titled, "We just wanted you to know that you are loved. Happy Valentines Day". The boys and I then decorated it with our hand prints and favorite scriptures on cute sponge hearts. I was fascinated by how much the boys wanted the prisoners to feel some happiness on Valentines Day. We googled what a cell looks like, and they expressed so much compassion and hope that maybe they could help make the day in jail better.

When I took the poster over, the Sergeant in charge was very surprised that a family had done this. I was told that school classes and ward primaries have colored pictures for the inmates, but she hadn't seen anything from just one family.

It was an unusual Valentines gift, but it gave me a great feeling to know that the boys were willing to do something without having immediate gratification in the form of praise.

6 comments:

Megan said...

hey, if I could I want do recieve a homemade gift from you... if you want only people who have not posted one already, I would understand. I hope you really do like you necklace...

Erika said...

I am impressed you actually delivered your Valentine. Usually how it works at our house is, the kids make V-tine's, cards, pictures etc, etc, I collect them and when they aren't looking chuck 'em (though I tell them they were delivered). I should probably stop lying. The kiddies are getting older and will probably catch on soon.

Christy Jones said...

That was a great idea! I bet you had tons of fun making the poster! I would love a homemade thing from you and will pass it on!!

Tracy S. said...

Rats!--I guess I will be the runner-up and should any one of the winners not be able to fulfill their duties in receiving a gift I shall be happy to step up and take their place :) And I am SUPER IMPRESSED about your valentine to the jail. What thoughtful idea! I love it!

Christina said...

Dang it! Since you are private I don't know when you are posting! I will just have to check more often :). That poster is an excellent idea. I would be so tempted to use the prison as a scare tactic for Samuel. Must refrain.

Christina said...

Oh, we were going to move to China about 3 years ago. Karl's company had an office there. Life ended up giving us more than would be prudent to handle in China so we just stayed here. We were going to live in Shanghai. This time we are going to Beijing (without the 36 hour train ride! Thank goodness!) and changchun.