Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Kaboo the Sparkly Monkey Baby

(Well, before I start this ode to my eldest, I have to say, that my Valentines post may have seemed a bit negative on the Dude. But what I love about him, is he read it, and agreed that it described him well, and was even amused by my descriptive word play. But that may not have translated well to the readers. Matt is great at showing affection on a daily basis, and I'm extremely grateful to be his wife).

...Chewey, Ka-cheweky, or Cucu Cachu are the other nicknames for my sweet eldest child who recently turned 9. Before we had Matthew, we were saving up to go live in Bolivia and travel around South America for three months. One evening, when we were praying, I asked for the Lord to bless Matt to make the decisions pertaining to our family's' happiness. So one night, Matt took me up on the Black Hill, and suggested that we stay home and start a family. He had to remind me what I had prayed for, because I hadn't even realized that I had said it. Needless to say, I was quite frustrated because staying home, getting fat, and having to care for another living human just was not on my things to do at the time.

About four months later, I took a pregnancy test, well...eight to be accurate, and all of them were positive. I made a special dinner for Matt, and we celebrated. I lost the baby at about 16 weeks and had the D&C two weeks later. It was my first miscarriage, and a gut wrenching experience for me at the time. I had had some complications with the D&C and my work was being very difficult so, frustrated, I quit. Matt's boss at the time also had failed to pay him for work done, therefore it just so happened that Matt decided to quit his job at the same time as well. We didn't have jobs, insurance, or hope for the future.

Looking back at that time, Matt and I had the greatest conversations about our faith, and how what we had wanted didn't fit in what was best for us. At the moment those conversations felt dismal. But it was our first faith building experience that proved to both of us that we were still grateful that we together had followed the Lord's will.

It only took a "short" six months for me to discover that I was going to have Matthew. I actually had my mom take me to the doctor to make sure, since I was so very nervous and excited. I ended up having the perfect job; a government position that let me set my own hours and so I could work from home as well. I ended up being reallly sick, throwing up the day I found out I was pregnant, to the day I gave birth.

The labor, however, was dreamy. My water broke at 2 am. I had a few painful contractions before I was given the yummy essence of epidural. And at 8 a.m, I had a healthy, albeit pointy headed baby with a full head of black hair. One harsh truth about that day, was the moment the doctor started to hand Matthew to me. I was suddenly so scared, screaming in my head a loud slow motioned..."NOOOOOOOO!". Matthew has since asked what my thoughts were when I first held him. My answer, "I knew that you would change my life forever". It's true. And for the better. When it came time for us to try for a sibling for Matthew, it became difficult for me to either become pregnant, or keep the baby after I became pregnant. So, for almost five years, I had Matthew to myself. When Matt had to work, I had my little boyfriend to keep me company. He was the best little friend I could have ever had.

Matthew is now nine. He is busy with school,scout's, guitar, ripstick, and friends, but he still finds time to cuddle up on my lap, which takes all of my body now, since he's getting so tall. We have great conversations. He is shy, but has a wonderful sense of humor. He is also my lean to when I feel frustrated with the three Little's that were born within three years. He will torture in order to show them who's boss. But more often than not, he will take them aside, read to them, make them dinner, and buy them treat with his own money.

Matthew was the one who helped me grow up from a reluctant mother, to someone who finds the most joy in creating a family of best friends. Happy Birthday, Matt-Chew!

6 comments:

Christina said...

That is so sweet. He sounds like a great kid. Loved reading about your experience. Stuff like that reminds me to be grateful like you.

Ben and MaryJo Scott Family said...

Sorry I didn't call and wish Matthew a Happy Birthday on his birthday but I was thinking about it if that makes it any better. I did call it into the radio station to try to win him a cake but neither him or Carolyn won (sorry). He really is a great kid. Happy belated birthday Matthew, we love ya.

Ben and MaryJo Scott Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christy Jones said...

I loved that, it was so tender and I could feel your love for your son. Thanks so much for sharing!

Erika said...

What a nice sentiment for a nice son. Happy birthday Matthew. I remember coming over to visit you in Washington after he was born. I can't believe it's been nine years.

Amy said...

What a great kid! Thank you for sharing that story of becoming a mom. It was so interesting to learn that part about you. Sounds like it was a rough, yet joyful road. I hadn't realized your last three were so close together!