When our babies are babies, it's easy to fulfill their wishes and needs because they are not able to do it themselves. Even when they grow a bit and their level of dexterity increases, we mommas still either out of habit or convenience wash their faces,noses, bums, cut their food, and finish their chores. I have already admitted that I was, at first, a reluctant mother. But once we were home, my mothering tendencies took their natural course. Changing messy diapers gave me time for eye-to-eye interaction with my son. I held my little buddy from morning to night and talked to him incessantly.
Ahhh! Life was great.
But then as time marched forward and the children multiplied, suddenly they interact with each other as if they were the celestial body that is being orbited. And as far as I am concerned, I have been hosting four little guests living in their own home. So, momma has to risk some job security and allow some room for problem solving skills to develop.
Matthew recently tried out some independence by riding his bike to a convenience store that's close by in order to purchase a movie and some treats from his allowance. I gave him my cell phone and instructed him to call me at several strategic points along the way there and back. I received a call with my son on the other end sounding distressed, begging for me to come and give him a ride home. When I found out the source of his excitement was that he was unable to balance his 42oz fountain drink along with the rest of his spoils and ride his bike home at the same time, I offered some deep and sincere empathy then asked what his next move was to solve that problem. He then told me, "well, that's why I called you, mom, so you could just get me." I told him that I was sooo sorry that I couldn't do that, suggested that he throw away the drink, and gave him my best.
About 15 minutes later I got another call, this time with him breathing heavily on the phone telling me that he was fine, and if I would reconsider picking him up. Again, had to assure him he was doing great and that I was excited to see him soon.
Another 20 minutes went by (it's about a 5 minute ride back) Matthew burst through the door with a slight wild look to his eyes, slammed down his treat bags AlOnG with the drink and announced that one thing he DOESN'T do is waste money. He was very happy that he overcame this little obstacle. He gained some independence, treats, movie, drink, and a little pride all in one trip. And just as I thought I should be happy for him as well, I gained a new found fear that I would be out of a job all too soon. Wow, how our kids are starting to grow so fast.
Who else has both, an experience when they had to let the kids practice some independence and a little love/hate relationship with the babies growing so fast?
7 comments:
That is so cute that he made it home! I am amazed with your self control. I would have picked him up and even worse, resented my own actions. Duh, right? Keep posting about parenting skills, I need them.
This switching from little kids to bigger kids thing has been a real challenge for me. You are right. One day you are doing everything for them, then, suddenly you're trying to get them to do things for themselves. One day they are cute as can be, and the next day they are disrespectful little . . . well, you know how it is. Way to go on helping your oldest solve his own problem. Sounds like a great learning experience. Oh, and I don't think you will ever be out of a job. I need my mom more and more with every year that passes.
the joys of parenting...and the fear of letting them grow up... way to go Malea!!!
Unfortunately, I can't "waste" my money and throw out the sugar in my life, either. It's disturbing really. I mean who really needs that extra large soft drink or deep fried anything?
I'm smiling just imagining him managing his drink and bike and stuff.
I'm proud of your little guy! Big step for sure. I absolutely hate my girls getting bigger. If I could freeze them right now I'd do it in a heartbeat (NEVER before age 2, however). What a cute story - you'll be glad you blogged about that one. :)
Oooh, you and your "sunburn" are nasty. I'm keeping our gloves and hats out another week just to spite you!
On another note--my love/hate relationship . . . the bus. I love that he's independent, trusting, and friendly, but then I hate I am so easily replaced by whatever random person happens to sit by him.
What a trooper! And props to him for not throwing away his drink!!! 42 oz is a large beverage to waste!
Post a Comment