Friday, May 22, 2009

Are You Crazy?!!! (put your feet up, this'll take a minute)

A loving and wonderful neighbor that I will refer to as "Dora" (since that is her real name), asked me this question when I told her about our most current adventure. Adoption. Yes, for those of you whom I have not informed, we have applied for adoption through LDS adoption agency.

Disclaimer: I am perfectly happy, willing, and able to be a mom of four normal, healthy, wonderful boys. Yet, Matt and I feel strongly that there is another one that should join our family, but that I should not birth him/her. Yes, we are going to check the box that says "girl". however, we are not adopting to just "get our girl". Whatever our Father wants for us, we will do.
...end Disclaimer.

Before Michael was born, we had had a few miscarriages and a period where I was just not getting pregnant. Which explains the nearly five year gap between Matthew and Michael. So we explored the idea of adoption. We talked to a counselor, went to some meetings, met some fabulous couples, but felt like it was not what we should do at the time and to try ourselves some more. Three kids later, the idea never went away, but Matt and I never jived with the idea at the same time either. And then, one day, we did. More prayers later, we know. So we have officially applied, and we are still paper working ourselves through it.

Though adopting is exciting and somewhat adventurous, it's definitely not as romantic as trying to have a baby is. We did, however, felt hot and spicy while filling out the background checks. I think we ate curried chicken that night.

So now that we have added the adoption adventure to our family's layer, this blog will be a place where I can now share some feelings and experiences while we go through this process. I will also be adding, eventually, some features, pictures, and "letters" about my family that will help portray us in a way that will be helpful to those who will view this blog expressly for the purpose of helping us find the baby that was meant for our family.

I will still be me, maybe somewhat toned down in a way. I'm still figuring that one out. It seems that my twistedsnarky sense of humor could be taken wrong if one is skimming through several blogs and profiles. Dora also told me that as well. I made up a joke pass along card. I looks like a business card and is meant to give out basic contact info. to spread the word. Anyway, I was told that I could easily offend if I was not careful. Understandable. Things are taken the wrong way all the time in writing. For example, a good friend that I met in Russia contacted me on Facebook for the first time since, Russia, I think. She typed, "How are you my friend?" I read it like "how do I know you?" So, I shrugged, figuring that she may not remember how I looked, or didn't recognize my married name. Whatev's, we'll just clear it up. So I replied with a lengthy description of how we knew each other. She meant it, "How are you, my friend?".

Anyway, long story short. Yes, we may be crazy. But we just may be the lunatics you're looking for.

***on a totally unrelated note, this is a picture my sister's (Sharee) son. It's my desktop background because it puts a smile on my face.
From van


****also, Matt hates my new blog background. I think it's cute. What is your take? Be honest.

6 comments:

Christy Jones said...

Malea,
I like your sense of humor, I have alway gotten a kick out of it. I am so proud of you fo adopting!! I have a sister who can't have kids and has adopted one, its a very hard process especially to get a baby! I will enjoy reading your story, I really hope it works out!

Christina said...

Oh man. You did that thing again where you make me bust out laughing where I am by myself (with the "lets call her Dora" bit). And if toning it down means that you are going to take that away from me, I will be so sad. But, I understand.

Backgrounds... for me, I like it simple. Like probably too simple for most. But everyone has different taste. That is what makes the world great.

Christina said...

Oh, and if I had a kid to spare, I would SO want you to raise it. You have so much greatness to share.

Amy said...

Wow! This is huge . . . and, so wonderful! I hope you get your baby soon. And, I was thinking that I love, love your background even before I got to the end where you asked my opinion. But, then again, I'm kind of really into pink right now. And, don't "tone it down" too much. I enjoy your sense of humor.

Hopie said...

I think you're perfect in every way!!! Except for the background... I'm with your hubby on this one. I think I saw that same print on an old lady's shirt last time I played bingo in Mesquite!!!! But, to each their own!!!

Courtney said...

Congrats- good luck- you are amaing. I hope it all works out for you guys. What an adventure.