
I was adopted, not a secret. My mom is my second cousin. I know, you are dying of not surprise. The first time I met my mom was when I was 10. My aunt, who my older sister and I had been living with at the time, took us to the Hale's house for a little family party. We were there for about an hour. I was really shy and didn't say much of anything. The second time I met them, I had come home from a little day trip to Vegas to find all of my stuff moved at the Hale's. I was then told that was going to be my home.
I used to think that I was really funny when I would say to my mom, "of all the mom's I've had, you've certainly been one of them." But I have to say, of all the mom's I've had, Gayle has been the toughest, most loving, protective, realistic, patient mom I've ever had. Within less than seven years of me living at home full time, my mom took on two extra teens along with four other children (one who is severe special needs), worked full time and got her degree in teaching, held several very time consuming church callings, dealt with losing two sons within just four months of each other, supported a missionary, kids in sports, drama, dance team...etc.. etc. etc.
My mom taught me to toughen up and let "it" go. I bet I have never mentioned that I used to be quite the handful; dramatic, manipulative, and detached. My mom let me have both my tantrums and my dramatic seclusions when I didn't get my way. Yet, I was also taught that my behavior was unacceptable, get over it, and my relationships are far more important than the issue.
My mom was a beauty queen in High School and once was Miss Washington County. She used to display her crowns on glass shelves. I would love touching the shiny beads and crystals. She'd let me try them on, and we would walk around with our head held high (pretending a string was lifting us up). She is also my favorite singer; Barbra, Bette, and Celine all rolled up into one. At night, when everyone was in bed, she would serenade us with songs like "Take my Breath Away", "The Rose", "Women in Love". I loved laying on the corner of her bed while she would tell us stories about when she was growing up. She has a way with painting a picture, and describing events in exact detail.
I had intended on filming my mom this evening while she was singing, as I have not done so for quite some time. But it ended up that we hung out until it was really late at night, listening to stories about my mom and dad growing up. My mom may be getting old, but the time spent with her never will. Of all the mom's I have had, You Are The Best!
12 comments:
What an amazing person. Thanks for sharing!!!
Your mom is amazing. She raised a wonderful daughter. Happy mother's day to you, a day late.
It's so wonderful to have such positive influences in our lives.
Your mom is pretty great...and so are you. Tell her I say hello...and you dad too.
You said so many great things. For whatever, the image of your mom singing to ya'll got me kind of teary. So so sweet.
Hey lady! Thank you for the bread tips. I will definately give'er a go. And, sorry I didn't get a chance to hook up while I was there last. We came down for my dad's retirement and the entire time was spent pretty much doing family stuff. I am planning on coming down the beginning of June- of my doc will let me- for my nephews wedding, so I'll definately try to see you then. Otherwise, I will be down soon after the baby is born and we can hook up then. Sound good?
Just gots to thinkin'...should I be saying "hooking up". Maybe I should re-phrase...meeting up, how's that?
Thank you for sharing this story about your amazing mom. Don't we all come to appreciate our mothers a little more and more each year?
What a sweet tribute to your mom! Wow. I'll remember her when I think I'm having a hectic day!
OMG! I cried reading that post! I love your mom. She's always one of those people who always shows unconditional love. Whenever I hear the song Under The Boardwalk, she always comes to mind!
Hey - You better stop by when you come up here. I would love to see you. Will you have extra time? I could get a few ILPers over.
That's so sweet! I love blogging because you get to learn so much about a person. It's great to get to know you better. :)
Post a Comment