I have a friend, Bridget, who I met in China while teaching English. She was the easy going, care free, "you-get-what-you-see,-and-if-you-don't-like-it,-your loss,-'cause-I'm pretty awesome", kinda girl. We got in touch again at the beginning of the New Year through Facebook, of course. She had a photo holding her four boys. I squealed and made comments on her page about how wonderful it is to have all boys. She then directed me to her blog so I could catch up on some of the tragic events of her life from the past year. I sat, reading, stunned, choking and crying all at once that this person, who I knew when we were ready to both travel and conquer the world was dealing with the worst most possible trial a mother could go through,
the loss of her child. So I read and read for a couple of hours,
about her anger, peace,
testimony, and strength, still bawling, but feeling so very grateful for the ability to blog. What if the Internet, or blogs had never been invented? Imagine if we were to run into each other in person for the first time in years? I would get way too happy, and ask this horrible question, "so how have you been?" or even better yet, "what have you been up to?". Imagine her answer, "um fine", or "just being a mom". Something most of us would say when there's just too much to describe.
Back to the point of this post: Through the beautiful blogosphere,
Bridget asked her friends to help her celebrate what would be her son's second birthday by sending of balloons to heaven wherever we may be. I felt a certain attachment to this request as McKay's birthday is only two weeks later after Evan's. So I, the boys, my sister, and a neighbor boy all went down to our favorite spot by where we live, Grandpa's Pond. We talked about Evan, where he is right now, how wonderful it will be to see our family again, and how grateful we are for having each other on the earth today. It was a beautiful opportunity. Michael told me, "this is a special day, I really think I love this little guy". So we sent Evan's balloons off to him, ate cupcakes and drank punch. Chatted with some men who were fishing about our remembrance event, and witnessed these "men's men" tearing up, and hoping that little Evan will get his balloons.
YOU GOT A FISH, THIS BIG?!!!
9 comments:
It's amazing what letting off balloons to Heaven does to the soul. We use let 26 purple balloons off on Paige's birthday, now we just let the amount of how old she is.... Thank you for sharing..
What a great thing to do!! I think blogging really does help us keep in better touch. I am glad you found a lost friend and were able to grieve with her!
Thank you Malea.
Your love and compassion are touching. I didn't know you had cupcakes and printed out a photo of Evan, too. Thank you.
Your post made me cry. Cry for Evan. Cry for great friends who can pick up just where they left off so many years ago. One of the solaces of this journey in grief is that you can make it a learning experience for your family, too and love a little stronger. I know you know what it's like to grieve and I always appreciate your perspective.
Much love,
Bridget
You are such a great mom to make this a teaching moment for your kids, but you're an even better friend. Damn it, we're lucky to have you in our lives!!!
What a special tribute to your friend's sweet child. I can't even imagine what your friend has gone through, but I'm sure having people like you in her life has made things a bit more bearable.
Oh my heart! I had no idea that Bridget lost one of her boys. I got so emotional reading this post. My heart goes out to her. What a great friend to are to send those Balloons to Heaven for Evan. So sweet!
K that is so cool that you guys did that. That would be THE HARDEST thing ever to go through!
It hurts my heart to think about it!
You're pretty much the best mother ever!
Malea, this is Kelsey Allen. I found your blog just surfing around. Your family is so awesome. I hope that we can keep in touch. It looks like you are having a great summer. Tell everyone from the ward I say hi. We miss you all. Feel free to check our blog out
kelsandcam.blogspot.com
Post a Comment